Other School Links
1800 Pearce Avenue | Albany, Georgia 31705 | (229) 431-3310 | (229) 431-3482
Dougherty Comprehensive High School is located in Albany, Georgia. We are one of four local high Schools with the Dougherty County School System.
See our county system website at http://www.docoschool.org
Visit the Dougherty High website at www.docoschools.org/doughertyhigh
Our physical school address is: 1800 Pearce Avenue, Albany, Georgia 31705 229-431-3310 |229-431-3482 (fax)| Jose Roquemore, Principal |School
Colors: Maroon and White
Dougherty High School, as the school was originally known, was built to relieve overcrowding conditions at Albany High School. The idea for a high school on the east side of the Flint River in Albany, Georgia was thus born. Construction began on November 5, 1962. The first day of school in September of 1963 found all facilities ready for use except the auditorium, which was completed soon thereafter. The school year of 1963-64 thus began the legacy of Dougherty High School. The building was representative of the newest design concepts of the period, and was built to accommodate about 700 students. One addition to the building from the original design was the construction of the media center and first hall in 1987. Several portable buildings have also been placed around the school over the years, as well as one wing of vocational rooms. These additions and portables have increased capacity for students to near 1000. The name of the school was changed in 1979 to Dougherty Comprehensive High School. This occurred because of the number of vocational classes being offered, and allowed for one additional administrator for vocational supervision. Vocational classes are now referred to as Technical/Career Education. These classes are continually being updated to keep pace with technology today. In fact, many of the programs are being evaluated for Industry Certification by the State Board of Education. Today, a student at Dougherty can choose the college prep, technical/career, or a combination track for purposes of preparing for graduation.
Dougherty began as an all white school in the early 1960’s as stated. Due to integration, however, this changed in 1965. Today, the school is primarily black students. The records show a population of about 96% black, with the other 4% made up of other races. The socio-economic backgrounds of the students range from low to middle income. The number of students currently at Dougherty is over 1,000.
Dougherty High has had seven principals since it began. The first principal was W. J. Herschell from 1963-1968. He was followed by John H. Duke, Jr. (1968-83); James C. Cook (1983-1988); Commodore Conyers (1989-1997) and Charles L. Frazier (1997-2001). In July 2001-May 2011, Horace Reid, Jr. took command. The slogan the school adopted this year, is—"Failure is not an option". our reigning principal is Mr. Jose Roquemore
The emblem of Dougherty is the Trojan head, and the school is known as the Trojans. The dictionary definition of Trojan is—a native or inhabitant of Troy; one who shows pluck, determination, or energy. The latter definition is often expressed in the old saying—to work like Trojans. By Dougherty High definition—a true Trojan is one with great pride in his school and one who is devoted to the principles and ideals his school sets forth. Further, a true Trojan preserves the beauty of his school, has “win or lose” school spirit, and does not malign another school’s reputation while maintaining that his own school is the very best anywhere. Finally, a true Trojan is proud to be what he is at all times and in all places—a representative of Dougherty High School.
The colors of the school are maroon and white, and are worn with great pride by students, faculty, and staff. Spirit days are every Friday, and this is when the school colors are worn. The school has a rich history of sports accomplishments and awards over the years. Highlights of our various sports will be featured as part of our website.