Are Schools Closed?
Schools are currently closed to students. Schools will re-open to students on Monday, Jan. 30, 2017
. You can follow us on our Facebook
accounts to keep up with the latest. You can also download our app by searching for "Dougherty" in the App Store and on Google Play.
What can I do if I want to volunteer for recovery efforts?
The Volunteer Resource Center has been established in partnership with DCEMA and the United Way of Southwest Georgia. ALL individuals and organizations who wish to volunteer are asked to make this your first stop prior to volunteering with storm relief efforts. The Volunteer Resource Center will be open from 7 am to 7 pm daily until further notice. The Volunteer Resource Center is located at 700 East Oglethorpe Boulevard in the old KIA building. Volunteers can also sign up after hours by sending their contact information to email@example.com.
To register through the Call Center, call 229-733-2492 or 229-733-2534.
What's the latest information related to the storm?
The latest from the Dougherty County Emergency Management Agency:
- GEMA is now on the ground organizing and coordinating all search and rescue efforts
- All in-kind donations such as water, pre-packaged food and clothing are requested to be sent to the GEMA Donation Staging Area 107 & 109 Front Street.
- Currently in active search and rescue
- 4 confirmed fatalities
- 5 confirmed rescues from homes; all were transported to local hospital
- 30 confirmed injured; all transported to local hospital
- 198 confirmed displaced, currently in local shelters
- There are 3 Georgia Search and Rescue teams working all disaster areas
- 200+ people on the ground assisting with search and rescue
- A preliminary search of all known affected structures has been completed. Secondary technical search in affected areas is has been completed.
- Completed a flyover this afternoon to chart the path of the tornado, will update as we receive information
- Albany Utilities, Georgia Power and Mitchell EMC all have damage to power structures and are currently working to repair damage Major Industry impacted: Cooper Tire building, P&G warehouse, Marine Corps Logistics Base, Coats and Clark Distribution Center, Georgia State Patrol Post
What can I do to give?
Anyone who wishes to donate clothing, hygiene products, or non-perishable food, can do so by dropping off the materials at Albany Middle School at 1700 Cordell Road.
The Dougherty County School System has also created a relief fund for people who want to donate money to assist in storm recovery. You can donate online by clicking here : http://bit.ly/DCSSStormReliefFund
People can also bring bring cash or checks to the DCSS Administration building at 200 Pine Avenue, or mail checks made out to the DCSS Disaster Recovery Fund to P.O. Box 3170, Albany, Ga. 31706.
You can also donate through the United Way of Southwest Georgia at https://www.unitedwayswga.org/help
And AT&T Customers can give a $10 donation to the American Red Cross for Southern Storm recovery by texting TORNADO to 90999.
What resources are available?
- Missing Persons Reporting- 229-483-6201, 229-483-6203 or 911
- Medical triage has been set up at New Birth Fellowship Church, 2106 Radium Springs Rd., 8 am to 6 pm on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Health Department will also administer tetanus shots at this location. This resource is provided for those who have been impacted by the recent storm.
- The American Red Cross has opened a 24 hour emergency shelter at the Albany Civic Center. People who need disaster relief assistance from the American Red Cross can call 229-436- 4845 or 1-855-891-7325. For those who wish to donate prepackaged in kind items such as pillows, blankets, food, water the American Red Cross is ready to receive donations at the Albany Civic Center.
- People who need counseling or prayer can visit the Billy Graham Rapid Response Team at 925 Pine Ave. or call 704-401-2483.
- The Albany Area YMCA is offering free hot showers to anyone in the community impacted by the storm during regular business hours. Monday -Thursday 5 AM-9:30PM, Friday 5AM-9PM, Sat. 7:30AM-6PM, Sun. 2PM-6PM. Please bring a towel. Toiletries are available.