The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act was passed December 21, 2020 and allocated $82 billion to the US Department of Education (USDOE). Of the $82 billion allocation, $54.3 billion was earmarked as ESSER II Funds for K-12 institutions. Based on the legislation, ESSER II funds were not subject to equitable services and thus public school systems would not be required to perform outreach to non-public schools.
The announcement of the ESSER II package and the start of DCSS’ FY22 Budget Development cycle were synchronous. Mid-January, the Georgia Department of Education (GADOE) informed the Dougherty County School System its ESSER II allocation would total $29 million. Given the uncertainty of state revenues for FY22, planning for ESSER II funds was completed in coordination with the FY22 budget development cycle.
In March 2021, information on the ESSER II funds was presented to the Board. A tentative outline of funding uses was provided to the Board in March as well. Post the adoption of the FY22 budget on May 10, 2021, a comprehensive plan for ESSER II funds was submitted to GADOE for review and approval.
The plan was approved July 19, 2021 and included the following budgetary objectives:
- Supporting the continuity of educational services during FY22 to offset budgetary shortfall stemming from continued state austerity
- Covering the cost for the summer 2021 recovery programs and other extended learning opportunities
- Purchasing additional devices, software, and other instructional materials to support FY22 launch
- Completing facility improvements that support enhanced air quality and purchasing materials to continue COVID-19 mitigation as outlined in the District playbook;
- Purchasing supplemental instructional resources and PPE/cleaning materials for all schools and programs
- Investments in additional staff to support literacy development
- Investments in COVID mitigation management
As of September 30, 2022, the Dougherty County School System has expended the full grant allocation, $29 million of the ESSER II allocation as follows:
Period Amount Use of Funds Summary FY20: 3/13/20 – 6/30/20 $ 0 FY21: 7/1/20 – 6/30/21 $ 9,547,552 (1) Instructional resources and replacement devices to support virtual learning (2) Funding to allow for continuity of district services (3) Personal protective equipment FY22: 7/1/21-6/30/22 $ 12,440,492 (1) Instructional resources and replacement devices to support virtual learning (2) Staff vaccination incentive (3) Funding to allow for continuity of district services FY22: 7/1/22-9/30/22 $ 15,256,466 (1) Instructional resources and replacement devices to support virtual learning (2) Staff vaccination incentive (3) Funding to allow for continuity of district services Total Expended $ 29,080,759 Funds Remaining $ 0
GADOE Reserve Grant Title Amount Allocated Expended 9/30/22 Remaining ESSER II CRRSA Act LEA Bonuses $ 1,992,914 $ 1,992,914 $ -